Barrett Playground, a 5.7-acre recreational center in the Olney neighborhood of northern Philadelphia has been chosen by the City of Philadelphia’s Rebuild Program for renovations and upgrades. Project Manager Nicetown Community Development Corporation (CDC) determined through a community engagement process the community’s needs and expectations concerning site layout, programming, access, and safety and security.
As a result, the proposed project involves the construction of a new community building with an indoor basketball court, computer lab, community meeting rooms, and parking lot. The recreational site includes an athletic field, basketball courts, tennis court, walking trail, playground, spray fountain, adult fitness equipment, community garden, and picnic areas. The redesigned site layout promotes site visibility, safety, and inclusiveness of the cross-sectional user demographics.
As a member of the design team, Sci-Tek is providing the following services:
- Boundary and topographic surveys
- Facility Assessment Report with site recommendations and an Engineer’s Estimate of probable cost for all site improvements
- Deed research of neighboring properties to obtain easements and right-of-way information
- Site assessment presentation to Rebuild and Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
- Community engagement assistance
- Site layout development support
- Utility plan development to support the new building
- ADA ramp and driveway design
- Drainage, grading, and stormwater management design with LEED SWM Runoff Management goals
- Erosion and Sedimentation Control Design and NPDES Permit Application
- Utility permits and coordination with utility providers
- Technical specifications and cost estimates